Director Lee Jong-jae, Park Hyung-sik, Jeon So-nee, Pyo Ye-jin, Yoon Jong-seok, and Lee Tae-sun attended a local press conference in Seoul, Korea, and answered questions about their roles as well as what to look forward to from Our Blooming Youth. The historical drama series telling the tale of a crown prince with a curse and a noble woman falsely accused of murder will be coming to Southeast Asia through Prime Video. Check out some reasons why you’ll fall in love with the story and the cast!
- Hot Talent Director Lee Jong-jae has several hit dramas under his belt, but most notably 100 Days My Prince which is also a historical drama like Our Blooming Youth. The director commented, “I hope Our Blooming Youth does as well as my previous work 100 Days My Prince.” In addition to the talented director, the cast of young stars are definitely actors to look out for. From Park Hyung-sik who won hearts through dramas like Strong Girl Bong Soon and Happiness to newcomers like Jeon So-nee, Pyo Ye-jin, Yoon Jong-seok, and Lee Tae-sun whom you have seen in a hit series or two, the cast is full of talent.
- A Youth-Centered Historical Drama Historical dramas have been and continue to be immensely popular amongst K-drama fans. Within that genre, historical dramas that are youth-centered and feature coming-of-age stories, are especially popular. Such stories are relatable for all ages and entertaining. Jeon So-nee shared, “All five characters are youths who overcome their own walls [or struggles].” We’ve got a cursed crown prince, a woman framed for the murder of her family, a best friend caught between those two, and so much more. They’ve each got their own personalities, situations, and there’s lots of interesting adventures ahead for the bunch.
- Unique Characters Min Jae-yi (Jeon So-nee) is a character who becomes framed for the murder of her family. In order to uncover the truth behind the murder, she seeks the crown prince after finding a connection. Jae-yi has to disguise herself as she is a wanted fugitive and becomes a eunuch as she works with the prince to solve their issues. She has a friend in her maid Ga-ram who also disguises herself as she helps out Jae-yi. Jeon So-nee said, “Our Blooming Youth is unique in that there are two characters who are disguised as males.” Pyo Ye-jin added, “I think you’ll be able to see great chemistry.”
- Strong Friendships In addition to the heartwarming friendship between Min Jae-yi and Ga-ram, there is a strong rapport between the crown prince Lee Hwan and his childhood friend Han Seong-on (Yoon Jong-seok). Their friendship is tested by the curse and a love triangle, but they care for each other. The friendship extended beyond filming as well! Yoon Jong-seok complimented Park Hyung-sik and said he wanted to learn from his example on set. Yoon Jong-seok added, “Even when it was really cold, really hot, or really tiring, Park Hyung-sik never complained.” In addition, Ga-ram ends up teaming up with Kim Myeong-jin (Lee Tae-sun) while looking for Min Jae-yi and seeking to help her dear friend.
- Heartwarming Romance + Mystery Fear not. There’s plenty of heartwarming romance ahead in Our Blooming Youth! Park Hyung-sik explained, “My character was pure and honest when he was younger, but something happens and he changes. He becomes unable to trust others. Then he meets Jae-yi and begins solving these events and growing as a result.” Who doesn’t love a healing romance? There’ll also be plenty of adorable moments with Ga-ram and Kim Myeong-jin. Pyo Ye-jin shared, “Lee Tae-sun and I have a lot of cute scenes.” It’s not only romance though, as the characters uncover the mystery of the curse and the murders!
From the hot talent, to the unique characters and set up, as well as lots of themes we love, there’s so much to look forward to! Discover the magic behind the story full of romance and mystery when Our Blooming Youth premieres on February 6 through Prime Video.