Globe’s Hapag Movement has raised over P13.5 million worth of donations to combat involuntary hunger in the country since its launch in 2022, as the digital solutions platform urged customers anew to support the advocacy as millions of Filipino families still struggle to afford proper meals.
Contributions to the cause accelerated during Globe’s on-ground events including the annual 917 GDay celebration in September 2022, with customers’ donations of their Rewards points, which the company matched to send urgent help to those in need. These were complemented by company-initiated donations, corporate partner donations, and by engaging their customer base through various activities.
“As millions of Filipinos still grapple with hunger, Globe believes that addressing this concern is necessary for the country to achieve full and inclusive recovery from the impact of the pandemic. We are very thankful to our customers for participating and being part of the movement,” said Globe Chief Sustainability and Corporate Communications Officer, Yoly Crisanto.
During their annual 917 celebration in September, Globe matched all Rewards points redeemed from September 17 to 30 with an equivalent donation to the Hapag Movement. They also engaged their customers in several events throughout last year including the Tay New Fan Meet in Manila, Reach 4 The Stars Fan Meet with Thai actors and Globe endorsers Bright, Win, Dew, and Nani, G Battle Zone, G Music Fest, AcadArena’s CONQuest, Gariath Concepts’ Electronic Sports and Gaming Summit (ESGS), Head in the Clouds Manila, and many others.
The total amount of donations also comprises internal employee engagements from Globe including:
- Purpose Tree – Globe’s annual Christmas fundraising effort
- Gift Local – the company’s annual Christmas bazaar, done in partnership with ChatGenie, an e-commerce solution supported by Globe Business, and in collaboration with some of their key clients, including Lumi Candles, Big AL’s, Daniel Baker, and many others
- Volunteer activities
Globe also has a growing list of partners to raise funds for the Hapag Movement including:
- Amdocs, Globe’s long-time vendor partner who’s pledged to monetarily contribute US $12,000 to the cause and mobilize their employees to join the movement by initiating an internal fundraising program;
- KUMU, the largest social entertainment app in the Philippines, also engaged their content creators and viewers to donate to the cause. They raised a total of 1.9M+ diamonds on the platform during the Hapag Movement Benefit Concert held last December 21, 2022, which drew 10,599 viewers.
- SMAC (SM Advantage Card), who, together with its sister brands within the SM Group, helped raise funds through customer engagements last Christmas season.
- The Rotary Club of Makati Central Business District, Ayala Coop, and KonsultaMD’s network of doctors who committed a significant amount to support the advocacy.
Collectively, all their efforts will contribute to reaching the program’s long-term goal of supporting 100,000 families in four years through supplemental feeding and livelihood programs of mobilization partners Ayala Foundation, Caritas Philippines, Tzu Chi Foundation Philippines, and World Vision Philippines.
According to the latest Social Weather Stations (SWS) survey, taken from December 10 to 14, 2022, 3 million families reported experiencing involuntary hunger, an increase from 2.9 million in the previous quarter.
The Hapag Movement is a united fight against involuntary hunger through technology led by Globe and carried out with its partners, the Ayala Foundation, Tzu Chi Foundation Philippines, Caritas Philippines and World Vision.
It aims to rally Filipinos behind a collective effort to feed the hungry, as involuntary hunger persisted among millions of families, especially at the height of the pandemic.
This is part of Globe’s commitment to the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals, particularly UN SDG No. 9, which highlights the roles of infrastructure and innovation as crucial drivers of economic growth and development.
Those who would like to send support may donate via the New GlobeOne app using Globe Rewards points. Just follow these steps:
Donations may also be made using GCash.
Donations may also be sent via credit card on the Globe of Good website.
To learn more about the Hapag movement, visit https://www.globe.com.ph/about-us/sustainability/globe-of-good.html.